SMMUSD Averages 500 Student Absences Each Day
Since daily school attendance is directly related to high student achievement, improved student attendance is a priority at Roosevelt.
When your child misses school, he or she misses valuable instruction. There is also a large financial cost to the school — $45.00 per student per day. So if 100 children are out 10 days, we lose $45,000!
How to Inform the School
It is a parent’s responsibility to inform the school with 5 days of your child’s absence. Absences not cleared within 5 days will be recorded as unexcused.
- Please contact Ms. Flores by email at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Call the attendance line at 310 395-0941 ext. 68208, or
- Send a signed note with your child including his/her name and teacher, the date(s) of the absence and the reason for the absence on the day he/she returns to school.
Unexcused absences include family vacations, business trips and personal days. Tardies over 30 minutes are considered unexcused absences.
Every month, notices are sent to inform families whose children have accumulated excessive unexcused absences.
- First Notice: This letter will be mailed after three (3) unexcused absences.
- Second Notice: This letter will be mailed after six (6) unexcused absences. It notifies parents that they will be expected to meet with school administration for a pre-SARB (School Attendance Review Board) conference.
- Third Notice: This letter will be mailed after nine (9) unexcused absences. It gives notice that the family will be referred to SARB.
- Letters will also be mailed for students with excessive excused absences (8 or more).
Which Absences Are Excused?
- Illness, medical appointments and bereavement.
- Religious observation and court appearances, when requested by the parent. A detailed list can be found in section 48205 of California Education Code.
A parent may request independent study for a child who will be absent for 5 or more consecutive school days. Independent study must be prearranged with your child’s teacher two (2) weeks prior to the absence. A contract is available from Ms. Flores in the front office and all schoolwork must be completed so that your child and the school receive credit for the missed days.
However, independent study is no substitute for the instruction that your child receives from his/her classroom teacher. Please make every effort to schedule family vacations during our school vacations.
Thank you for making sure that your child is in school and on time daily! We greatly appreciate your partnership in ensuring that your child receives an excellent education.